According to the Herald Sun, the Victorian Government has been discussing how it might further ease restrictions, in light of Melbourne’s promising coronavirus news.
Government ministers and health officials are reportedly discussing dropping the travel ban between Melbourne and regional Victoria from Friday.
Authorities are also offering advice on whether Melbourne can drop the 25km limit for exercise, drop the directive on wearing masks outdoors and allow gatherings in homes.
It’s hoped Melburnians could hold public gatherings outside with up to 20 people and homes opened up to visitors and dependants.
The Party Games newsletterGet your political briefing from news.com.au’s political editor Samantha Maiden.
Bars and restaurants may see their cap of 100 lifted to 150 and wedding parties could possibly have numbers lifted from 10 to 20 guests.
Masks will stay mandatory indoors and on public transport as contact tracers continue to chase down any outstanding chains of transmission.
New cases linked to Southbank apartment complex
Victoria technically reported zero new cases of coronavirus yesterday, however two new cases were announced in the early afternoon, part of the five listed in Wednesday’s numbers.
This came after the outbreak at the Southbank apartment complex, where an aged care worker inadvertently gave coronavirus to three other residents in the building.
The Southbank complex is now a Tier 1 exposure site – meaning anyone who has been to the complex between June 2 and June 14 must get tested immediately and quarantine for 14 days from the last time they were at the site.
Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley yesterday said the two new cases – both men with links to communal areas – will be included in today’s figures.
All residents inside the Kings Park Apartment Complex at Dodds and Wells streets are in isolation.
Mr Foley told reporters about 200 people from the complex have been tested so far, and both new cases are already linked to the complex.
Restrictions changes due to be announced
Officials hope to announce any changes to restrictions either today or tomorrow morning, depending on today’s cases.
Regardless of when the announcement is made, authorities are hoping to maintain its tradition of easing restrictions for 11.59pm Thursday.
Dozens more exposure sites were added over the long weekend due to the Southbank outbreak.
However it’s hoped the dropping of the 25km travel limit could provide a massive boost to regional tourism operators.
Victoria’s school holidays will begin next Friday, with Melburnians previously banned from travelling on the recent Queen’s Birthday long weekend city.